Press "Enter" to skip to content

Americans like Young Girls and Goats Too

Online trolls, particularly the American brand, have two main fallbacks when they set out to disparage Muslims: the issue around child brides, predominantly girls and the ludicrous,  deeply racist assertion that “muzzies” like to hump goats. It’s 100% guaranteed that any conversation among these like-minded, warped troglodytes will eventually resort to this level of name-calling and muck-spreading.

In fairness, they have a valid point about the child bride problem. It may be a cultural or religious belief that this is appropriate inside certain Islamic communities but it’s wrong on many levels, not least in that young girls should not be expected to behave as, and perform the roles expected, of grown women within a marriage setting. So you could excuse the bigots on this front.

Or could you? In possibly one of the greatest examples of irony, a study in 2017 suggested that between 2000 and 2015 there were 207,468 “reported” child marriages in the United States. 86% of these were between an adult and a minor, the remaining 14% were a union between two minors. Unsurprisingly, the majority of these were conducted in extremely conservative Christian communities.

In keeping with this belief system, it’s also important to remember that American Evangelicals are also pretty fond of book burning as well as believing that the world only began 6000 years ago. You don’t have to grow a big beard and live in a cave in Afghanistan to be a member of the Taliban it seems.

Which brings us onto the subject of goat-humping. As mentioned above, this is the favourite derogatory slur of the narrow-minded loons of the internet. What’s remarkable about this is that only recently did the State of Louisiana vote to make bestiality illegal. The vote was 25-10 in favour of the ban. It makes you wonder if the 10 who chose to oppose the change had to make hasty rearrangement to their weekend plans.

In fact, bestiality had been technically legal since 2003, presumably before as well in the not-so-distant past, when it was argued that the “crimes against nature” laws were violating the 14th Amendment rights. Essentially this amendment encompasses what it means to be an American citizen and the rights held within that.The construction of this amendment was borne from the abolition of slavery.

So, what it all boils down to is, that right-wing trolls and the bigoted fringe of the internet, really should not be living in glasshouses and throwing stones. If anything they’re no better, if not worse, than those in their firing line.

 

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Mission News Theme by Compete Themes.